Friday, July 8, 2016

Katie on her dog bed

I shared this photo (also on this blog two years ago) on Instagram yesterday as Facebook has been reminding me over the past three weeks about Katie's impending -- and then subsequent -- surgery and recovery. You can see where her IV was inserted, her incision, and the shrinking bruising area. A couple of days prior she had decided for herself that she wanted to go lie on top of her dog bed instead of the spare mattress we had set up for her to lie on as she recovered from her surgery. That's where I found her. At this point of time she was almost a week removed from her amputation.

It still pains me at times when I think about her now; I'll never get completely over it. I feel like that for Alex, Nikki, and Sadie (who died six months after Katie) who came before her, and I'll feel like that for Bean and Billy Bob (who came after her) whenever their time comes. But I look at all the pictures I took of Katie and I can better appreciate the nearly ten years she graced our household.

There are a lot of Katie memories, both good and bad, in those pictures. But Katie is in there, and that's really all that matters.


6 comments:

  1. Katie was an absolutely gorgeous dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was the tallest of the four greys we had adopted up to that time. Maybe because she was from Iowa. But Bean and Billy are both taller than her, we think.

      Delete
  2. The B/W gives the image a solemn feel. We are on our third Tripaw. At least this one isn't from Osteo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete