Thursday, July 18, 2013

Katie doesn't always misbehave...

Since her leg amputation surgery over two weeks ago Katie has been very good (for the most part) about leaving her incision alone as it healed. I have caught her licking the area of the t-shirt that covers the scar, but she could be so much worse about it. I don't doubt for a moment that it has to be itchy.

A week ago she wanted to go into our bedroom where one of her dog beds is (most Greyhounds have several dog beds in the house). She has this habit of leaning over one side of the bed and placing her front leg outside and alongside it, and assumes this particular pose. It looks kind of confident and self-assured. Anyway, after she had laid down for a few minutes, I thought I'd better check on her to make sure she wasn't licking the wound since I was in another room. When I peeked in I saw her posing, so I walked over to the dining room where my camera was, switched lenses, and returned to the bedroom. She was still there, posing, so I took a few quick snaps and hoped I got a good image. Unfortunately, the color on her head in the picture was really bizarre compared to her body, so I converted it to black-and-white. Even then, the conversion was not very good, although I liked her pose and the expression on her face.

I thought I'd make an image macro of it just for fun, so here's the end result:


By the way Katie got her staples out several days ago and got her first dose of chemo. Now we need to make sure she gets enough calories to gain some weight.

(Shot with the Nikon D600 and 105mm macro lens; aperture-priority, aperture set to f/4.5, shutter speed 1/40 second at ISO 6400; auto white balance; imported into Lightroom and converted to black-and-white; normal JPG.)

5 comments:

  1. Glad to be past the the t-shirt and staple phase. Jaime was hopping at her bowl within a few days. We're still coaxing Stella to eat on a daly basis. We are well stocked on baby food. Hopefully Katie is eating well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. katie's always been somewhat picky about her food, so being on chemo is certainly not helping. but since her first dose of chemo last monday she did gain a pound when we weighed her today, so we're pleased with that.

    tell kristen "thanks" from us for her FB posts on gayle's katie pictures. she provided good info through her comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie is so much mischief, lol. So wonderful that she's gained a bit of weight and in such good spirits. Onward and upward!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great picture. That's the spirit, Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie looks like she's adjusting very well. I'm also a right leg amputee. It took me 3 weeks before I was comfortable walking around. I now can go on mile walks but it takes about an hour with lots of rests and water breaks.

    Cerenia can really help with the queasy feeling. After my chemo, even water makes me want to puke. I've had four rounds of chemo so far and my humans didn't start with the Cerenia until round 3. It made a huge difference in helping me get back to normal.

    My racing weight was 67 lbs and after my amputation, I was down to 53 lbs. I'm now at 68 lbs. My secret has been Wild Calling. http://wildcalling.com I still eat my dry kibble but during the first 7 days after chemo, I am allowed as many cans as I can eat.

    ReplyDelete