Thursday, June 9, 2011

Sadie as if in graphite

I don't live to post-process: it's a chore, and I'd rather be out shooting. But part of the fun for me in post-processing pictures is trying out different Lightroom presets and seeing what I get. I'll first create a virtual copy which can be quickly discarded if I don't like the results (easier for me to play around with a virtual copy instead of repeatedly ctrl-z to undo things). Then it's preset play-time.

When I tried out a black-and-white preset on a Sadie photo I got a rendering that very much looks like some of these super-detailed graphite drawings that my wife loves. Other than making some minor exposure adjustments after applying the preset I cloned out a skin tag that Sadie has on her lower left eyelid.

Sadie

(Shot with the Nikon D300 using the 50mm f/1.8 lens; aperture-priority with aperture set to f/2, camera chose 1/250 sec; ISO 200; matrix-metered; cloudy white balance; normal JPG.)

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I love the details it gave to her face, but also what it did to the background! That collar was a great choice, too! :) I'd love to see what the original color version looks like beside it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really makes their nose come out, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @carrie: no, you don't really want to see what the original color version looks like. :P it looked bad, so i wanted to try a b&w preset to see what i'd get. stupid me...i deleted the virtual copy of the picture so i don't remember what preset i used.

    i like the bokeh that this lens gives -- it blurs the background in a pleasing way when shooting the lens at large apertures.

    the collar is from my friend sue ross of silk road collars.

    @petra: i dodged her nose a bit to add a little detail. but the overall result really surprised me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what the before photo looked like but that is stunning. I never think to use B/W.

    ReplyDelete