Wednesday, May 30, 2012

JJ at the park

At the GreySave picnic I was asked to photograph JJ, a blue brindle boy who had his right rear leg amputated a couple of months ago. His owners, who take in special-needs greyhounds, regularly post Facebook updates on him. Reading through his travails have been inspiring to those who know him. So at the very end of the picnic, I asked his owner if I could quickly take a few photos.

He walked out of the ex-pen and stood still as I photographed. I particularly liked how this one came out (I digitally removed his leash):

JJ

One of his owners stood behind my right shoulder and called out to him while the other owner held up his leash. When I got home I added a little more black to the picture.

I hope JJ is around a long, long while.

(Shot with the Nikon D300 using the 50mm lens; aperture-priority, with aperture set to f/2.8; camera chose shutter speed of 1/640 second at ISO 400; -0.7 exposure compensation; SB-800 flash set to -1.0 flash compensation; auto white balance; center-weighted metered; normal JPG.)

11 comments:

  1. What a handsome fella. Didn't even notice the leg at first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you know, i just wasn't sure how much of his amputation to show in his pictures. i was asked once, when photographing another tripod, to make it more obvious -- i think to make the point that the greyhound was doing okay after the surgery. so i obliged. but in jj's case i had just met his owners and we didn't have time to chat so i played it conservatively and concentrated on his face.

      Delete
  2. He's gorgeous! Even without the leg, he's a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isn't he, though? i love the look on his face here.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. that he is. i don't come across many blue brindles.

      Delete
  4. What a happy, handsome chap:) His eyes just sparkle with joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i was very surprised and pleased with how this came out.

      Delete
  5. It has been about a month or so since I have been around to blogs! And after my camera was damaged, I haven't taken any pictures either! I just got up to date on your blog and wanted to say once again what amazing shots you get. I want to practice more with the different metering settings to see what happens too because I never take it off of the default setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. angela, i'm so sorry about what happened to your camera. i read what you were given as a repair estimate; i'd be in shock, too.

      i've been trying to make eye color more obvious. sometimes matrix-metering (this is nikon's terminology -- i forget what canon calls it) works, sometimes center-weighted works. i know spot-metering would work, too, but i rarely use it. i just want to know what might work best in any situation...and have fun doing it.

      Delete
  6. His face says it all. Happy boy! (and resilient too)

    ReplyDelete