Wednesday, July 13, 2011

One of these dogs is not like the other

Sadie, Sadie, Sadie...were you like this as a puppy?

Sadie and Katie

Catching a moment like this of our girls playing is so much easier to do on a 35mm SLR (either film or digital) than on most point-and-shoots. Set the camera on shutter-priority mode and continuous-servo autofocus, pick a fast shutter speed (I chose 1/2000 sec on this occasion), let the camera choose the aperture, and off you go (or you could also set the ISO, shutter speed and aperture manually, too). You might be amazed at the sort of pictures you end up with of your pups at play.

(Shot with the Nikon D300 with the 18-200mm zoom set at 72mm; shutter-priority mode with shutter set to 1/2000 sec; camera chose f/5; ISO 1000; cloudy white balance; normal JPG.)

5 comments:

  1. Lol, what a gorgeous photo, and such a contrast of expressions and sense of energy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sadie is always this way...and more needy, more open to strangers, more "stalk-y", more of mostly everything, i think... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha ha! That completely made my day! What a crack up! I'm not sure which girl's expression I like more.

    I'm still too chicken to play with shutter speeds and apertures. I just stick with that handy dial on top of the camera, but I wish I could do some playing around with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you can do it, carrie. program or auto mode is fine for a lot of things but it sometimes doesn't quite get you what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have more confidence in me than I do! lol

    ReplyDelete