Saturday, March 31, 2012

A perfect picture

At the Blur of Fur run at the Greyhound Gang's event both Sadie and Katie participated. Both girls ran twice. For Sadie's second run she would run after me. I had the "advantage" of starting before her, as well as starting further down the run. I was sure that it wouldn't take much to get her to chase after me. All I had to do was run for all I was worth away from her and she would automatically go. That's her nature. And I knew she would have no trouble overtaking me before I got close to the end.

Gayle stood at the end of the run to take our pictures. I had my D300 set to shutter-priority and added one stop of exposure because the sun was at our backs, otherwise the shadows would be too deep.

At the signal I took off. Then, after I had run for a few seconds, Sadie started after me. I thought she might try to jump on me as she passed. You see, we jog sometimes during our walks. And when we jog she gets playful: she jumps alongside me, or clamps her mouth around the back of my hand and tries to lead me down the street. But not this time. She kept her eye on me as she passed, then turned around and waited for me while Gayle kept photographing.

20090517_0120

I'm glad that Gayle took this. I've looked at this picture many, many times. The picture shows something that I cannot put into words. The picture shows, in one moment, the relationship that Sadie and I have. The picture is perfect.

(Shot with the Nikon D300 using the 18-200 zoom lens; shutter-priority, with shutter speed set to 1/2000 second; camera chose aperture of f/5.3 at ISO 1800; +1 exposure compensation, auto white balance; normal JPG.)

10 comments:

  1. Very sweet! What a daddy's girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A guy and his gal - his 4-legged gal. It IS perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a GREAT shot of the two of you! I'm not sure I've seen any of you with either of your girls before. I had a feeling Katie was definitely your girl, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant Sadie! Dang it! I even thought it and still typed Katie! I'm cancelling future birthdays!

      Delete
  4. This is a great photo! The special bond between man and dog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i've always loved her expression in this picture. just keeping an eye on me as she passes just in case i do something unexpected, and knowing she could catch me still and not have to even breathe hard to do it.

      Delete
  5. I agree - what a great shot! And it's nice to be on the other side of the camera occasionally! I love the look on her face too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. on the other side of the camera? ummm, no. i hate my smile. that's why i try to take the pictures, not be in one.

      Delete
  6. That is a really cool shot! Love it!

    ReplyDelete